Monday 27 July 2009

The Neptune Fountain and Main Town Hall / Długi Targ / 5 July 2009


These black and white photographs were made in and around the city of Gdansk in Poland, between the 3rd and the 10th of July 2009, using a home made pinhole camera (DIM f.225), the short focal length of which accounts for the wide-angle look of the images.


By employing a large, double-lined changing bag, it was possible for me to safely load and unload the wooden camera with 7"x5" sheets of Ilford Multigrade photographic paper, wherever I happened to be.


Most of the resulting exposures were developed over two evenings during that week, in the flat where I was staying, and thanks to the generosity of my hosts, I was able to temporarily convert their bathroom into an effective darkroom. The negatives I developed then were later digitally scanned and carefully retouched using Photoshop Elements.


The positive image of the Neptune Fountain in Długi Targ (below), which is preceded by its original photo paper negative, shows the results of its having been flipped and inverted but not retouched. The numerous finger marks, specks of dust and small scratches, reveal the unavoidable consequences of my having chosen to work in this way.


Original negative image


Unrestored positive image


No comments:

Post a Comment